We are open UNTIL OCTOBER 31, 2018 for submissions of fiction, poetry, creative non-fiction and essays for issue #2.
We seek unpublished submissions of:
- Fiction, maximum 5000 words. We are not averse to flash but make it over 250 words. We’ll consider just about any genre other than horror, sci-fi and erotica. Speculative or erotic elements are fine but we’re not about ghosts, vampires, telekinesis, and unicorns or pieces where a sexual encounter is the sum total of the piece, even if it is between ghost unicorns and telekinetic dragons. Send your story attached as a word document to blackdogreview22(at)gmail.com
- Essays, maximum 5000 words. Prior to making a complete submission inquire with a brief synopsis to blackdogreview22(at)gmail.com
- Poetry — Submit between one and three poems in a single document. We are unlikely to publish any poetry where the formatting requirements are other than “justified left”.
- All submissions must be unpublished.
- If you want to pitch us something outside of these guidelines, please inquire with a brief synopsis to blackdogreview22(at)gmail.com
- We accept simultaneous submissions, but let us know if you place your story somewhere else.
- Please include a brief cover letter in the body of the email.
- We don’t accept multiple submissions; one piece at a time please.
- We don’t pay. Sorry.
- You retain all rights to your story, but we’d like to archive it on our site.
- Spell-check your story before you send it. Proof it. And please — double-spaced, 1″ margins, 12 pt. font, preferably Times New Roman. You know the drill.
- We aim to respond in 90 days (or fewer). Please query only after 90 days have elapsed without a response. We respond to every submission. Due to time constraints and the volume of submissions received we cannot offer personalized responses or critiques / consultations.
- We will close submissions for a category once we are full in that category. We will note this specifically on the submissions page. Submissions coming in after closing will not be responded to and instead will be deleted unread.
Thank you for considering the Black Dog Review as a home for your writing!
– The Editors